...On Little Cat Feet

Friday, June 23, 2006

Curds and whey

Devon had a tough day today. She woke up this morning about 5:45 am or so and had her customary bottle of milk (we're still trying to break her from the bottle habit, but so far we haven't had the stamina to withstand the wailing. It needs to come soon, though) -- we usually bring her into our bed for this with the express (yet unstated) intent of trying to con her back into sleep. This morning we had a rude awakening, I'm afraid, when she vomited the milk back up after about a minute. All I can say is thank god for mattress pads; it was the only thing that saved this from being a complete disaster (although I can assure you we won't be using at least one of these pillows for a while until we visit the cleaner).

After that, not surprisingly, she was a bit more chipper; and since we were all wide awake now (and some of us had a lot of adrenaline flowing for 6am), we decided to walk down the hill to Starbucks to get some coffee. We had run out yesterday, and we've been going through a bit of a heat wave here and wanted to pick up an iced coffee. Walt put Devon on his shoulders and we walked down to Starbucks. As we were inside pondering the beans we wanted to buy, wave two hit -- and I mean that literally. Devon vomited right on top of Walt's head in the middle of Starbucks. Luckily he made a sprint for the door and the second wave happened on the sidewalk (or at least, luckily for the Starbucks barristas, who would very much prefer to pick up a carboard cup than a mop, I'm sure). I have to say that this is also probably the only time I'll be thankful for Walt's hair, which is about as close as human hair can come to a Brillo pad; it's actually almost resistant to liquid, which in this case meant that he got a lot less of it in his hair than any person with normal hair would have...

Despite all of this, Devon was actually in decent spirits for the whole day. A little bit later we had to go back to 8th Avenue and engage in yet another round of the tradesman samba (where I must admit, I'm getting a little tired of them taking the lead and then stepping on my feet). We had two more refinishers coming to bid on the place in the wake of the Carlos fiasco, and we also had the electrician coming to bid on adding timers to some lights (so, for instance, the garage lights aren't on 24x7) and he had in tow his design school friend who was going to pitch us on a cheapo paint color consulting session. I also had a slew of calls and meetings for work, so it was pretty crazy.

I think we're in for a tough night, though; she went to bed around 6:15, which is shockingly early for her, but she's had a really restless sleep. I'm just hoping that this was mostly a one-day virus and we're through the worst of it, since I'd prefer not to spend the entire weekend toting around 3 changes of baby clothes and extra large trash bags to protect against another dousing.

3 Comments:

  • That's the amazing thing about kids, is that when they are sick they are often just fine when they are not actually throwing up.

    That picture is ... fantastic. Wow.

    And as for the tradespeople... it will all be worth it in the end. It will all be worth it in the end. It will all be worth it in the end...

    Just think how great life will be with a garage (no more searching for street parking!), and an actual room for Devon. It will be here soon... stick with it!!

    By Blogger Jim Sailer, at 8:28 PM  

  • I second Mr. Sailer's comment, that is a awesome picture. Angelic was the word that came to mind. I hope she feels better tomorrow Blaire.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:00 PM  

  • Yes, they have an amazing recovery cycle -- no wallowing in their misery, that's for sure. And I'll make sure that Walt gets credit for the photo, he'll appreciate that.

    I keep telling myself that about the tradespeople and all of the benefits that will come with modern living (e.g. garage, dishwasher, etc.). I know it's going to be delightful when it happens, but we're currently in the "so near yet so far" phase. I'm trying to hang in there!

    By Blogger Devon Szalva, at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home