...On Little Cat Feet

Friday, June 30, 2006

Driving Miss Brigitta and Mr Isaac

Today starts the beginning of a 4 day weekend -- ah, the delights of time off from work! Devon was at Kaaren's today and had an especially good time because there were a lot of kids there (at least for Kaaren's). Kaaren's granddaughter, Michaela, was there, as were Keri's kids Brigitta and Isaac. Isaac is about 4 months older than Devon, so they are very close in age and apparently played together a lot today.

When I got to Kaaren's to pick Devon up, I had originally told her that I'd come around 2pm or so. Of course I got totally sucked into work and didn't arrive until much later in the day. Now at some point early in the morning when I was coordinating with her about dropping Devon off, Kaaren mentioned that she was going over to Keri's to pick up her kids (actually the night before she had asked me if I could "swing by" and pick up Keri's kids and bring them over, since I was also bringing Devon over -- I know this was a nice gesture, meant in the sense of "wouldn't it be fun for the kids to drive over together?" -- I couldn't easily pop over to Keri's, load up two other kids in my car (who don't know me well and would probably think they're being kidnapped) and then drive over to her place. All of this before I needed to call into a meeting that starts at 8:30 am).

At any rate, I had of course totally forgotten about the conversation from the night before about Kaaren picking up Keri's kids, so when I got over there late in the afternoon today, all of the kids were still there. Kaaren had mentioned to me earlier that Keri's kids were staying with her from 9-1, so I was surprised to see them there when I showed up much later. I mentioned this to Kaaren and she said, "Well, that's because I only have 3 car seats."
"Huh?"
"I have to drop them off at Keri's."
I suddenly remembered that she had originally picked the kids up in the morning. So it turned out that Keri's children stayed several extra hours at Kaaren's because I had come back late. Whoops. I called Keri up later to apologize since I was embarrassed for throwing a wrench in her afternoon plans. She was very gracious about it -- Keri is teaching a class at SF State this semester about Muslim cultures, so this probably gave her a couple of extra hours to work on her syllabus!

Devon obviously had a great time at Kaaren's, and all of the kids were so wired up that none of them took naps. This meant, of course, that Devon was totally fried by the time I got her in the car to go home, and she fell asleep before we even got to 8th Avenue. This was short-lived, though, since she woke up again at the apartment (I had daydreams of a nice long nap interrupted only by some milk and then back to bed directly) and was kind of cranky right up until bedtime. I suppose the silver lining to this is that it's quite clear she's not ready to give up afternoon nap, which is generally a parent's lifeline to sanity. Yea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home