...On Little Cat Feet

Friday, June 09, 2006

Gus the Bernese mountain puppy

I usually work at home on Friday, so I took Devon to Kaaren Alvarado for some babysitting. Kaaren was recommended to us by our friend Keri, who has a daughter and a son close to Devon's age. Kaaren is extremely nice and great with kids, but she's one of those people who is a complusive talker -- you really have to make a concerted effort to extracate yourself from her home in under 15 minutes. Luckily today I had a meeting shortly after I dropped Devon off, so I could leave with (relative) alacrity.

Kaaren is taking care of her daugher's dog, a Bernese Mountain puppy named Gus. He's almost as big as a small pony and he's not even a year old yet -- he's going to be huge as an adult dog. When we got there, he was in a dog crate and started barking when he heard us come in. Devon immediately started yelling, "Oggie! Oggie!" and ran right over to the crate and shoved her arms in it. She is totally in love with dogs right now, and we can't walk by one without her wanting to pet it. Of course she immediately runs right over and tries to poke it in the eye, so we have to keep a close watch on her with dogs, since she tends to be aggressively affectionate.

Keri also brought Mina and Isaac by right as we were leaving, but since I had a meeting, we only had a short chat with her. I've know Keri since my days as a Wallenberg scholar in Jerusalem -- I met her the first day I was there because we were in the same dorm. Keri and her family had just gotten back from Camp Okizu, a camp for families with children with cancer. Mina has been battling leukemia for 2-1/2 years but is in good shape now. They've been cataloging her experience in, of course, another blog. It was great that they were coming by since it meant more kids at Kaaren's. Since Devon is used to day care (and not, for instance, a nanny or babysitter), from her perspective, the more kids, the better.

Anyway, when I came back a few hours later to get Devon, she was still thrilled about the dog. Kaaren let him out of his crate while I was there, and Devon would open the door to the dog create, get inside and crawl about happily, come back out and repeat it. I have no doubt that Gus was probably thrilled to get some rest in his crate and time away from prying little hands. Kaaren kept telling me that he was "afraid" of the children. Tired of being loved is more like it, I suspect...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home