The hell that are tradesmen, pt. II
A couple of days ago I posted a mild rant against tradesmen, which I now have to up to a full-scale rant. On Wednesday Carlos, our floor refinisher, was supposed to start work -- which dovetails very neatly (some might say too neatly) with the painter, who is starting on Monday. Wednesday came and went, and despite a veritable barrage of phone calls to his cell, none of which were answered, no Carlos. Ditto on Thursday, although by the end of the day, with practically superhuman effort, we managed to track down another number for him thanks to my mom (who had originally recommended him, since he did Jon's and her floors). The short story to all of this is that -- with absolutely no explanation of why -- he tells me he's "too busy" to come this week and can't start until July 1 at the earliest. All of this despite the fact that we had scheduled with him, and he agreed, to start on Wednesday. No apology, no explanation, nothing. Now we have to reschedule the painter, who honest to god I've personally had to reschedule at least 4 times, and I'm not even sure now if we'll make the July 31 move-in target. All of this is practically giving me an aneurysm. And my schadenfreude is growing every day as I tally up each tradesman infraction...I hope by the end of all of this I won't be a hopeless misanthrope.
At any rate, Walt is back from Florida today, so it's nice to have someone else to share my frustration with. Devon was really excited to see her daddy, and he picked her up from Elaine's and they walked back to 8th Avenue together (and from what I heard, much fun was had by all). She had a grand time running around the apartment waiting for me to get back from work. It's all covered in a fine dust from the drywall sanding, and there is a lot of room (at least by our standards), so it's the ultimate kid combo -- big and dirty.
I'm beginning to fear that Devon may be becoming something of a picky eater -- for someone who likes food as much as I do, this is a very disturbing thought. She hasn't been eating much lately, and many of her former favorites (like eggs, cherry tomatoes and prunes, for instance) are now being rejected; the only constant seems to be peas and crackers or bread, which she'll eat pretty consistently. She's also really become a soy milk lover, one might almost say an addict. She calls it "mo mik," which I guess is as close to "soy milk" as she can manage. The interesting thing is that she definitely recognizes the words; I told Walt in the car that I had a carton of soy milk in my bag, and immediately Devon (from the car seat in back) started squealing, "Mo mik, mo mik!" I think soy milk has two advantages -- it's a little sweet, so it's tastier than water and the little individual packs (which, I confess, are terrible environmental scourges, but are extremely handy as a kiddie-size serving) have little straws attached to them. The straws are almost as good as the milk, from what I can tell, since Devon will slurp down the soy milk and then spend a lot of time chewing on and playing with the accompanying straw.
I'm crossing my fingers that this is merely a brief phase through which she'll pass unscathed. I will be sorely disappointed if I actually shell out big bucks for a fancy range and then have a kid who only wants to eat peanut butter and jelly on crustless white bread. O, the sorrow of it all!
At any rate, Walt is back from Florida today, so it's nice to have someone else to share my frustration with. Devon was really excited to see her daddy, and he picked her up from Elaine's and they walked back to 8th Avenue together (and from what I heard, much fun was had by all). She had a grand time running around the apartment waiting for me to get back from work. It's all covered in a fine dust from the drywall sanding, and there is a lot of room (at least by our standards), so it's the ultimate kid combo -- big and dirty.
I'm beginning to fear that Devon may be becoming something of a picky eater -- for someone who likes food as much as I do, this is a very disturbing thought. She hasn't been eating much lately, and many of her former favorites (like eggs, cherry tomatoes and prunes, for instance) are now being rejected; the only constant seems to be peas and crackers or bread, which she'll eat pretty consistently. She's also really become a soy milk lover, one might almost say an addict. She calls it "mo mik," which I guess is as close to "soy milk" as she can manage. The interesting thing is that she definitely recognizes the words; I told Walt in the car that I had a carton of soy milk in my bag, and immediately Devon (from the car seat in back) started squealing, "Mo mik, mo mik!" I think soy milk has two advantages -- it's a little sweet, so it's tastier than water and the little individual packs (which, I confess, are terrible environmental scourges, but are extremely handy as a kiddie-size serving) have little straws attached to them. The straws are almost as good as the milk, from what I can tell, since Devon will slurp down the soy milk and then spend a lot of time chewing on and playing with the accompanying straw.
I'm crossing my fingers that this is merely a brief phase through which she'll pass unscathed. I will be sorely disappointed if I actually shell out big bucks for a fancy range and then have a kid who only wants to eat peanut butter and jelly on crustless white bread. O, the sorrow of it all!

1 Comments:
I dare say Devon will phase out the picky eating phase -- after all she is part Szalva -- and Szalvas are known to go to the other extreme, i.e. eating all that comes within arm's length! So says Nana.
By
Anonymous, at 3:35 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home