...On Little Cat Feet

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sweeping the fish

Devon was really out of sorts this morning, and I'm sorry to say that we had a repeat of her throwing up in our bed. I'm sure that it was no fun at all for her, and it certainly wasn't any fun for me. Walt had already gotten up, but I got jolted out of a delightful, deep sleep first by her waking up and wanting milk; and then after she got her bottle and I was just starting to drift back into sleep, she threw up all over and we had to strip the bed at 5:30 am. Ugh. Of course after that adrenaline surge I couldn't get back to sleep no matter how much I tried (or how much I wanted to do it). Then, perhaps because she was still feeling icky, she was incredibly clingy and whiny. I literally had to wrest her away from me to take a shower, and Walt mentioned that she made a huge ruckus when he dropped her off at Elaine's, crying and carrying on because she didn't want him to leave.

Apparently she turned around during the day, though, since Carmel (one of the women at daycare) mentioned that Devon had been great when Walt went to pick her up. Perhaps after we were both out of the picture she came to her senses. She was definitely in a better mood this evening and was especially excited that we were barbecuing, since that meant that we all got to spend some time outside in the backyard.



We have a glazed pot that's about a 1-1/2' in diameter that has some water reeds and a fish in it (it started out with 3 fish, but due to my neglectful care, we're down to 1, but I'm very glad to say that he's an extremely hearty fish). Devon just loves this pot and spends a fair amount of time when she's in the backyard terrorizing the fish, an activity she was engaging in this evening as well. One of her favorite things to do to the fish is to take our small dustpan and hand brush and splash and drag the brush through the water; and the pull it up, dripping wet, and wave it around. This succeeds in getting her soaking wet in moments as well as completely freaking out the fish, both by crashing a big foreign object around in his home and by creating a lot of extra noise. I'm generally amazed at how engrossing this can be for her; sometimes she'll spend 10 minutes thrashing around in the fish bowl with this brush, which is a really long time for a 17 month-old. Today we had to herd her around the hot barbecue, so the game wasn't quite as fun as it is normally, but she still loved being outside with the family.

I was also surprised when she wanted to try our hamburgers at dinner. She gestured towards one of them and said, "Bi, bi," which I eventually realized meant "bite." When she actually got one up to her mouth and tasted it, her immediate reaction was, "No!" I wasn't surprised by that, since she generally doesn't like meat (or at least she doesn't like the meat that we cook), but I didn't think she'd even want to try anything that came off the grill. Maybe she's becoming more adventurous at last in her food...

This is a propos of nothing in this blog, but I do of course have to let our non-Devon life into this blog. Walt and I watched a Frontline episode tonight called "The Dark Side," which was about Dick Cheney's consolidation of power in the White House post-9/11. It was fascinating, I'd recommend it. Turns out that Frontline posts all of its previous shows on its web site, so you can search for and watch anything they've produced (if you don't mind squinting at the tiny square of Quicktime on your computer). Anyway, this was a really compelling case for what appeared to be Machiavellian political maneuverings by a true master of the trade. It's enough to make you want to move to France.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home