...On Little Cat Feet

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Three down

This is turning out to be a long weekend. Whatever stomach bug Devon has transferred itself to both Walt and me on Saturday night. Devon was clearly out of sorts all day Saturday; we went to the playground, and mostly she wanted to sit on my lap, which is totally uncharacteristic. We did take a turn on the rope "merry go round" -- the little rope jungle gym that's on a turning platform -- but that experinece quickly went south when another little kid who was climbing down from the top stepped on Devon's hand. She didn't quite recover from that, but she was happy to sit in my lap and watch other kids playing on it. We played a little in the sand as well, but clearly her tummy was bothering her. This became vividly obvious later when she threw up on herself on the way home. Let's just say that it required a full hose down of the car seat.

Not too suprisingly, after she got whatever it was out, she was much happier and, one might say, downright chipper. We went back over to One Half, scene of my pocketbook downfall a few days earlier, just to scope out any delights that I might have missed on my first pass. I'm happy to report that while I picked up a couple of additional books, for the most part, I had chosen well on round 1. Devon was really enjoying the books there; she'd pull one off the shelf, page through it and then reach for another one. At first she tried to put them back in the shelf, but she hasn't gotten the hang of putting books away vertically, so it was a little challenging. She was having a lot of fun, though, and I thought that she might finally be over the hump.

I'm sorry to say in hindsight that while she might be over the hump, I think the descent will be a long one. She threw up in her bed last night, so we had to transfer to ours and later in the night we got the same treatment. The only saving grace was that at least round 2 was a lot smaller. We were also very sorry to note that the fabulous alphabet books were the recipient of a direct hit; Walt washed them off and we're drying them today, so we hope they have a speedy and full recovery. This was also when Walt and I realized that we had also gotten the bug. I had called the pediatrician on Friday, and he warned me that it was likely viral and we should wash our hands frequently, but clearly we weren't vigilant enough. Saturday night was pretty rough on everyone; I can only hope that the worst is over for all of us. I also had to do an emergency dash out to 8th Ave on Sunday morning, since after yesterday's activities, we were down to our last towel and the bedsheets were running close behind. I did 3 loads this morning, so I think we're in good shape for at least another couple of days of this if the recovery is a slow one...

2 Comments:

  • Oh, Blaire, this sounds rough. We have been through this but always managed to have enough sheets for Henry to go through so he didn't have to come in our bed. Lucky for you the "boat" is so large that you just moved to another section after her incident??? Seriously, hope that everyone in the household is feeling better.

    By Blogger Jim Sailer, at 6:56 PM  

  • Oh thanks! Funny, as this was happening and we were in the worst of it, I was thinking about the trip that Cass to visit her dad and Rita when Henry was really little. That was the flight when he got sick and threw up all over her and she had to buy new clothes in the airport. I honestly was thinking of that, and while this won't be consolation to Cass, it did occur to me that we could be in that situation. At least this is happening at home :)

    By Blogger Devon Szalva, at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home