La Di Da
As I was logging in just now, I saw a link to a blog called "Toby the Punk Poufy Cat." You've got to love the world of blogs, where anyone is free to write any drivel they wish...
Devon is showing a marked interest in singing suddenly; or I should say I'm not honeslty sure if this is a new interest or it's been there all along and we finally noticed it. Walt's mom had sent a CD of toddler songs to her -- things like "Old MacDonald" and "I'm a Little Teapot" -- that we played occasionally. She liked it for a few minutes and then got distracted and did something else, so we just assumed that it wasn't a hit. But recently, as we've been moving and packing, we found the booklet of lyrics that came with this CD. When we found it, Walt and I launched into an impromptu version of "I'm a Little Teapot," and Devon just loved this. Right after we finished she said, "Mo, mo!" (more) so we slowly started working our way though this book of kiddie lyrics.
It's actually a really good thing that we have these lyrics, since frankly I can't remember any lyrics and can hardly remember the tunes of these childrens' songs. I started to sing "Old MacDonald" and couldn't figure out why it wasn't really working until Walt pointed out that I was singing it to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." Whoops. Even though Devon isn't really that crazy about the CD, it's a nice crutch for mom and dad to remember the actual tune for our a cappella versions.
Devon really can't sing at all, but when we start to sing, she'll wave her arms around and do what some folks might kindly term "dance" (and others who are less inclined towards niceties might term a precursor to an epileptic fit). I was trying to get her to do the hand motions to "I'm a Little Teapot" (which again I can't actually remember but I do know there's something with creating a handle and a spout) as I sang. That didn't work, but she had a grand time nonetheless, spinning around, waving her arms around and generally dancing to the music.
This might actually turn out to be a secret weapon for us; on the way home from the train station tonight she started to cry, "Out, out," when we still had about 10 minutes more to get to the apartment. First I tried to explain that she needed to stay in her car seat until we got home, but as I'm sure all of you know, logic falls on deaf ears with children. My desperation move was to launch into a kiddie song, and it worked like a charm. I have no doubt that classics like "The Wheels on the Bus" and "Old MacDonald" will get tired for us very quickly, but they are definitely serving their purpose while the shine is still on them.
On the house front, we've resigned ourselves to moving in without a kitchen (thanks to Floorcraft for messing up the cabinet order) and cooking on a hot plate. I'm going to hound Walt to see if there is any way to hook up the dishwasher even without the cabinets, since I am certain that we won't want to wash a lot of dishes in the bathroom sink. If not, it'll be a Chinet month for us.
We've also gotten totally sucked into eBay as a source for lighting. Our friend Dana turned us on to the joys of eBay for lights; she bought several fixtures for her home on it. Similar to an earlier rant about hideous modern "amenities" like marble in the bathroom, I think modern lighting is grossly overrated. It's nigh impossible to find good-looking lighting (if you don't want a modern style) in a regular store. Walt and I, in one of our frequent trips to Home Depot, went though the lighting section; and I was shocked at the level of dross in that place (although granted, HD is not exactly known for style). Anyway, it turns out that if you have patience and don't mind trolling though a bunch of yard-sale style crap, there's some great stuff on eBay. We've bid on a few things and gotten outbid most of the time, but we did score a couple of great lights for the place. I'll post a couple of photos when we get them; one of them is this fabulous Deco light that we'll probably put in the living room. Walt got a little caught up in the thrill of the auction on this one and bid over our inital budget, but the light is great and I'm sure we'll love it. We don't really need to worry about installing anything until after the painters leave anyway, but it's fun to get it together now so we're ready to go when we finally move in.
Devon is showing a marked interest in singing suddenly; or I should say I'm not honeslty sure if this is a new interest or it's been there all along and we finally noticed it. Walt's mom had sent a CD of toddler songs to her -- things like "Old MacDonald" and "I'm a Little Teapot" -- that we played occasionally. She liked it for a few minutes and then got distracted and did something else, so we just assumed that it wasn't a hit. But recently, as we've been moving and packing, we found the booklet of lyrics that came with this CD. When we found it, Walt and I launched into an impromptu version of "I'm a Little Teapot," and Devon just loved this. Right after we finished she said, "Mo, mo!" (more) so we slowly started working our way though this book of kiddie lyrics.
It's actually a really good thing that we have these lyrics, since frankly I can't remember any lyrics and can hardly remember the tunes of these childrens' songs. I started to sing "Old MacDonald" and couldn't figure out why it wasn't really working until Walt pointed out that I was singing it to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." Whoops. Even though Devon isn't really that crazy about the CD, it's a nice crutch for mom and dad to remember the actual tune for our a cappella versions.
Devon really can't sing at all, but when we start to sing, she'll wave her arms around and do what some folks might kindly term "dance" (and others who are less inclined towards niceties might term a precursor to an epileptic fit). I was trying to get her to do the hand motions to "I'm a Little Teapot" (which again I can't actually remember but I do know there's something with creating a handle and a spout) as I sang. That didn't work, but she had a grand time nonetheless, spinning around, waving her arms around and generally dancing to the music.
This might actually turn out to be a secret weapon for us; on the way home from the train station tonight she started to cry, "Out, out," when we still had about 10 minutes more to get to the apartment. First I tried to explain that she needed to stay in her car seat until we got home, but as I'm sure all of you know, logic falls on deaf ears with children. My desperation move was to launch into a kiddie song, and it worked like a charm. I have no doubt that classics like "The Wheels on the Bus" and "Old MacDonald" will get tired for us very quickly, but they are definitely serving their purpose while the shine is still on them.
On the house front, we've resigned ourselves to moving in without a kitchen (thanks to Floorcraft for messing up the cabinet order) and cooking on a hot plate. I'm going to hound Walt to see if there is any way to hook up the dishwasher even without the cabinets, since I am certain that we won't want to wash a lot of dishes in the bathroom sink. If not, it'll be a Chinet month for us.
We've also gotten totally sucked into eBay as a source for lighting. Our friend Dana turned us on to the joys of eBay for lights; she bought several fixtures for her home on it. Similar to an earlier rant about hideous modern "amenities" like marble in the bathroom, I think modern lighting is grossly overrated. It's nigh impossible to find good-looking lighting (if you don't want a modern style) in a regular store. Walt and I, in one of our frequent trips to Home Depot, went though the lighting section; and I was shocked at the level of dross in that place (although granted, HD is not exactly known for style). Anyway, it turns out that if you have patience and don't mind trolling though a bunch of yard-sale style crap, there's some great stuff on eBay. We've bid on a few things and gotten outbid most of the time, but we did score a couple of great lights for the place. I'll post a couple of photos when we get them; one of them is this fabulous Deco light that we'll probably put in the living room. Walt got a little caught up in the thrill of the auction on this one and bid over our inital budget, but the light is great and I'm sure we'll love it. We don't really need to worry about installing anything until after the painters leave anyway, but it's fun to get it together now so we're ready to go when we finally move in.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home