...On Little Cat Feet

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Playground heavies

Devon has started waking up at night recently, which is a real drag. We think it's a combination of the heat (although I have to post a correction; it was 87 yesterday here -- I guess I'm just so unused to the heat in the summer that it seemed like it was in the 90s) and the fact that she's got a cough that we think indicates some kind of nascent sickness. I'm sure we're exacerbating it, though, since the first night she woke up and asked for "mo" (milk), we gave it to her; last night we didn't give her milk (although she kept asking for it) but did get her out of the crib and rock her. Tonight she's staying in the crib -- I don't want to restart the cycle of her waking up at night. I don't get enough sleep as it is.

Walt had to pass on our morning yoga class; he couldn't get back to sleep when Devon work up at 3:30 am last night, so she and I went ourselves (she went to daycare at the JCC and I went to yoga). She loves going to daycare at the JCC; it has lots of fun toys and plenty of other little kids with whom to play. Sunday mornings are especially fun since the place is packed; the only way we get a regular spot is because Walt has set up a script to email our request for daycare at 12:01 am the night before. If we wait until a decent hour in the morning, all of the spots are taken. This makes for a very fun daycare, though, since it's just swarming with kids.

Later in the day we went to the playground in the Presidio. This is the playground with the little "fountain" -- it's sort of a cement trough, paved in river stones, and if you push a button, water runs out of a few areas. I thought this would be a hit since it was still quite hot today -- and I was worried that the swings and slide would be too hot to sit on -- but surprisingly today it was only of minor interest. We did start off digging in the sand by the water, but then a little boy tried to take her shovel; when she resisted (and his mother intervened), the boy grabbed a shovelful of wet sand and flung it at Devon, hitting her in the head. The mother apologized and then exclaimed, "Oh, I'm sure that was not intentional!" Hmm. Your kid tried to take her shovel, she resists and he retaliates by throwing sand at her? That seems intentional to me.

This playground is an intersting one. It's in one of the nicer parts of town and is usually full of parents who are pushing $750 Bugaboo strollers and driving fancy cars. But it's also a playground that is more often than not filled with brats. Keri told me that this was the playground where she's had the most trouble with other kids; at first I thought she was exaggerating, but now I believe her. There is a rather amazing lack of manners among some of these children (although it's the minority, I should note).

I read an interesting article a while ago where the author suggested that because many children these days had families with two working parents; and since they didn't see their children a lot during the day, they were loathe to discipline them when they got home from work and did see them. So as a result you have a lot more bratty children because the parents want the time they have with their children to be fun time, not time when they have to be the heavy and tell them not to throw sand at other children.

As a total sidebar, we had the first corn of the season tonight, and Walt snapped a funny picture of Devon eating it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home