...On Little Cat Feet

Friday, August 25, 2006

Binky revisited

This weekend was the combination Paw-Paw visit and full-bore packing. I think I excoriated him in a previous post, but I'll twist the knife a little more now -- Walt, until this weekend, had done no packing. So while we've got about 30 or so boxes of stuff already packed, there is a lot more to go, and this weekend was the last one for us to get some real traction on it before the movers come. We did, however, on Saturday morning start the day out with a trip to the farmer's market with my dad. Devon loves that market, and we did the usual rounds -- sample fruit from the fruit vendors, spend some quality time with Gandhi and run around looking at the Bay and chasing the pigeons. We sampled some dry farmed tomatoes, which even my dad conceded were fabulous (a real coup, considering that he hails from prime tomato country). We didn't get there until about 10:00, though, so a lot of the things that I normally buy were either terribly picked over or out of stock by the time we were there. The market was jammed, however -- I think the serious shoppers get there at 8:00 and the tourists filter in starting at about 10:00. We were also on Devon time, though, so between walking back and forth to the car and playing, it took us about 2-1/2 hours to do our shopping (and after all of that, I only got melons and coffee!).

Rory was at 8th by the time we got back, so he was able to start installing the plugs and do some clean up work on the electricity. I was happy to see him, since we've had live wires hanging out of the baseboards all over the place, and (not surprisingly) I'd like to get them covered since we have Devon running around all over. He's also going to install a couple of our eBay light fixtures. Walt had gotten in a ridiculous bidding frenzy for a fixture that we wanted for the living room -- a beautiful Art Deco fixture with 5 cream-colored shades and an interesting drop-down metal center column. This, unfortunately, broke in transit, so our dream of having Rory install it so we could do a little preening was crushed (luckily the package was insured, so at least we should be able to make a claim). We have a couple of others, though, that he can install. Our light fixture purchasing has been put on hold temporarily, while we get this internet connection sorted out. But at least we'll be able to move in with working plugs and a couple of fixtures (although we'll be working primarily with the fabulous hanging bare bulb look for a few weeks).

Later in the day my dad and I took Devon out in the stroller for a walk in the Presidio. She stayed in the stroller for a few blocks, but then had to get out and push it herself (a common occurrance these days). The section that is very close to our apartment has a dog run, so there are always lots of people with dogs there. It was really exciting for Devon -- she loves dogs, and at one point, she just dropped the stroller and took off in pursuit of a couple of black labs that were running around on the grass. Eventually my dad managed to distract her with the ducks on the lake and his duck calls, although we never got her back in the stroller.

Sunday was devoted entirely to packing, with one break at the playground at Broadway and Larkin. Interestingly, as we were packing stuff, one thing that I pulled out was a package of pacifiers that I had bought very early on for Devon, although it turned out that she totally rejected them and never used them (the package was unopened). She saw this package and immediately wanted me to open it. Walt opened it for her, and she popped one in her mouth -- and she spent the rest of the afternoon with the pacifier in her mouth.

I don't really know what to make of this, especially since she had flat-out rejected it for months before. A couple of months ago we were visiting our friends Keri and Arne, and at one point all of the kids (Devon plus their children Mina Brigitta and Isaac) ran back into a bedroom and Mina and Devon both came back with pacifiers. Mina was sucking on one, so Devon popped another one of Mina's into her mouth. But she hasn't had any real exposure to them since then, so I'm not quite sure why she's interested in one now or if it's just a passing fad. Walt did manage to hide it from her before bed, so she didn't go to sleep sucking on it. It's either just the novelty of it, or she's developing a late-stage oral fixation.

[Note: as you can probably tell, this idea of writing a posting and uploading it later isn't really working well, since I forget that I haven't published and go days without posting...sorry!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home