Delayed delivery
I'm uploading a couple of posts, since we still don't have an internet connection and AT&T is, for mysterious reasons, making it extremely difficult for us to connect our new telephone line to DSL. On Friday we were supposed to have some appliances delivered -- our two biggest purchases, actually -- the range and the refrigerator. Walt and I were swapping back and forth at 8th waiting for the delivery guys; Walt had to make a couple of Home Depot runs so that he could get all of the things that Rory (the electrician) needed to finish off the place on Saturday; and I had to keep going to the studio so I could get some work done.
When the delivery guys finally showed up, Walt was there, and both of these deliveries (from two different companies) were fiascos. The refrigerator guys showed up and realized, as they were unloading, that the fridge was missing a wheel (I guess new refrigerators have wheels on the bottom -- who knew), so they would need to get a new fridge and reschedule the delivery. This isn't the worst thing, since nothing is dependent on the fridge, but it would have been nice to have a working fridge so that on Wednesday, when we move, we could move everything from the Glover fridge to 8th. Now we're just going to have to keep everything in the Glover St. place, I guess, until the new fridge comes and we can make the transfer later. At least I paid rent until the end of the month, so we'll have some leeway with Glover.
Shortly after the refrigerator delivery persons left, the stove delivery guys showed up. They took one look at the stairs to the apartment and said that they'd need to reschedule, since they brought two guys but decided that they needed four. They did leave Walt the offer to just leave the stove on the porch and then reschedule the actual delivery (getting it up the stairs) for later, but he politely declined. Remember that this is a 450lb. range, and they have to take it up about 8-10 stairs to get to the front porch and then up probably another 15 stairs (with a turn) to get it into the kitchen. I think they are going to have to take the doors off of it (and probably the doors will also need to come off the refrigerator) to get it into the apartment and through the hallway. So all of this was a little ridiculous, but at least nothing else is waiting on the delivery of these appliances...
My dad came into town this weekend. He's been wanting to drive through El Puerto Canyon Road; it goes west out of Patterson, goes by Lick Observatory, and comes into San Jose on Alum Rock Rd. All of these are fairly obscure California back roads that run east-west, connecting I5 with the Peninsula. When he got here, he said that El Puerto Canyon had so many switchbacks that it took him about 2-1/2 hours to get from I5 to 680 (significantly longer than if he had taken the normal highways), but it was an interesting drive. That area was very close to a big wildfire that had been burning for a few weeks (it's out now), so I expect that it probably wasn't looking its best. Devon was quite excited to see "Paw-Paw," and she spent quite a bit of time running around the apartment with him. Now that the painting is finally finished, she can run through it with impunity, although we have already had a couple of "Marks of Devon" on the new paintjob. I can tell that it's going to drive me crazy for a while -- me trying to keep our expensive paint job in good shape and she running her grubby little hands along every surface. Sigh.
We put down the new carpet that we got in the auction a couple of weeks ago in the living room to see how it looks, and Devon has really been having fun rolling around on it. Between the new carpet and the vacuum, with which she's fascinated, I think she spent a good hour in there, pushing buttons and grabbing hoses on the vacuum and testing out the surface of the carpet. Walt thought the carpet was too red initially, but I like it, and I think he's warmed to it now. There is another auction in September, which we'll take a look at, since we need some other rugs, and large-size rugs in particular are prohibitively expensive new.
When the delivery guys finally showed up, Walt was there, and both of these deliveries (from two different companies) were fiascos. The refrigerator guys showed up and realized, as they were unloading, that the fridge was missing a wheel (I guess new refrigerators have wheels on the bottom -- who knew), so they would need to get a new fridge and reschedule the delivery. This isn't the worst thing, since nothing is dependent on the fridge, but it would have been nice to have a working fridge so that on Wednesday, when we move, we could move everything from the Glover fridge to 8th. Now we're just going to have to keep everything in the Glover St. place, I guess, until the new fridge comes and we can make the transfer later. At least I paid rent until the end of the month, so we'll have some leeway with Glover.
Shortly after the refrigerator delivery persons left, the stove delivery guys showed up. They took one look at the stairs to the apartment and said that they'd need to reschedule, since they brought two guys but decided that they needed four. They did leave Walt the offer to just leave the stove on the porch and then reschedule the actual delivery (getting it up the stairs) for later, but he politely declined. Remember that this is a 450lb. range, and they have to take it up about 8-10 stairs to get to the front porch and then up probably another 15 stairs (with a turn) to get it into the kitchen. I think they are going to have to take the doors off of it (and probably the doors will also need to come off the refrigerator) to get it into the apartment and through the hallway. So all of this was a little ridiculous, but at least nothing else is waiting on the delivery of these appliances...
My dad came into town this weekend. He's been wanting to drive through El Puerto Canyon Road; it goes west out of Patterson, goes by Lick Observatory, and comes into San Jose on Alum Rock Rd. All of these are fairly obscure California back roads that run east-west, connecting I5 with the Peninsula. When he got here, he said that El Puerto Canyon had so many switchbacks that it took him about 2-1/2 hours to get from I5 to 680 (significantly longer than if he had taken the normal highways), but it was an interesting drive. That area was very close to a big wildfire that had been burning for a few weeks (it's out now), so I expect that it probably wasn't looking its best. Devon was quite excited to see "Paw-Paw," and she spent quite a bit of time running around the apartment with him. Now that the painting is finally finished, she can run through it with impunity, although we have already had a couple of "Marks of Devon" on the new paintjob. I can tell that it's going to drive me crazy for a while -- me trying to keep our expensive paint job in good shape and she running her grubby little hands along every surface. Sigh.
We put down the new carpet that we got in the auction a couple of weeks ago in the living room to see how it looks, and Devon has really been having fun rolling around on it. Between the new carpet and the vacuum, with which she's fascinated, I think she spent a good hour in there, pushing buttons and grabbing hoses on the vacuum and testing out the surface of the carpet. Walt thought the carpet was too red initially, but I like it, and I think he's warmed to it now. There is another auction in September, which we'll take a look at, since we need some other rugs, and large-size rugs in particular are prohibitively expensive new.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home