Water, water everywhere
I'm happy to report that we have an actual, working kitchen as of tonight. Walt spent most of yesterday and today installing the sink, disposal and dishwasher, and I'm washing a load of dishes right now as I write. It's quite thrilling for me to load dishes into a dishwasher, since up until now (my entire adult life so far), I've never actually owned one. Just the idea of not having to pick up a bottle brush for those damn sippy cups is a total joy. I remember complaining loudly as a teenager about having to unload the dishwasher, and now I can hardly wait to do it. After spending the last 20 years washing dishes by hand, I can truly say I had no idea how good I had it then.
I am a little disappointed in the noise from the dishwasher, though; we bought this German model that was supposed to be super-quiet, and it definitely doesn't sound super quiet to me (although maybe this is as quiet as a dishwasher gets). We were going to get the really fancy model with hidden controls, but then I realized that if we got the not-so-fancy model (with controls on the front) we'd get a rebate from the manufacturer and the PUC, so we went with the lower-end model. Maybe that's why it's only "quiet." One thing we didn't think about, however, was that Devon loves to push buttons, and she's already turned it off twice during the cycle. It made me think that perhaps we should have stuck with the hidden control model, since we have enough trouble trying to get her to not turn on the oven.
Having a real kitchen is great, though, and I'm enjoying actual counter space. There are still wires hanging out of the walls and only one (wrong-sized) cabinet on the wall, and I expect now that everything won't be in place until October, but at least I don't have to go to the basement or Burke's to use a sink.
The only downside to all of this kitchen work is that we missed the last weekend of the Monet in Normandy exhibit at the Palace of the Legion of Honor. We haven't been to a museum with Devon since we went to see the photo exhibit of before and after pictures of the 1906 earthquake about six months ago. I think that only qualified as a semi-disaster, since Devon was in the stroller asleep for part of the time in the gallery. When she was awake, however, she was a total terror -- running around, yelling and basically doing everything in her power to disturb the other patrons. I was hoping that this time Walt and I could have tag-teamed so each of us could have seen at least part of the exhibit. Hopefully we'll try it soon, though, especially since we're closer to both the Legion and the de Young.
I am a little disappointed in the noise from the dishwasher, though; we bought this German model that was supposed to be super-quiet, and it definitely doesn't sound super quiet to me (although maybe this is as quiet as a dishwasher gets). We were going to get the really fancy model with hidden controls, but then I realized that if we got the not-so-fancy model (with controls on the front) we'd get a rebate from the manufacturer and the PUC, so we went with the lower-end model. Maybe that's why it's only "quiet." One thing we didn't think about, however, was that Devon loves to push buttons, and she's already turned it off twice during the cycle. It made me think that perhaps we should have stuck with the hidden control model, since we have enough trouble trying to get her to not turn on the oven.
Having a real kitchen is great, though, and I'm enjoying actual counter space. There are still wires hanging out of the walls and only one (wrong-sized) cabinet on the wall, and I expect now that everything won't be in place until October, but at least I don't have to go to the basement or Burke's to use a sink.
The only downside to all of this kitchen work is that we missed the last weekend of the Monet in Normandy exhibit at the Palace of the Legion of Honor. We haven't been to a museum with Devon since we went to see the photo exhibit of before and after pictures of the 1906 earthquake about six months ago. I think that only qualified as a semi-disaster, since Devon was in the stroller asleep for part of the time in the gallery. When she was awake, however, she was a total terror -- running around, yelling and basically doing everything in her power to disturb the other patrons. I was hoping that this time Walt and I could have tag-teamed so each of us could have seen at least part of the exhibit. Hopefully we'll try it soon, though, especially since we're closer to both the Legion and the de Young.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home