...On Little Cat Feet

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Territorial peeing

I neglected to mention in my last post that our last, missing cabinet arrived on Friday. I was thrilled, although I'm still steaming about Floorcraft -- what a bunch of bunglers. I was particularly unhappy that I sent a scathing letter to the general manager of the company and never got any reply; it's one thing if you're a big box store, but it's a totally different thing if you're a family company with one store in SF. Ugh. At any rate, it's here and Aaron is back from his trip and ready to finish the installation on Monday. We may have the hood and the final cabinets in by the end of the week, which I can hardly imagine. I doubt that we'll have them painted, since that is going to be another whole job in of itself, but it's nice to at least be in a situation where we can install the last of them.

HD EXPO, unfortunately, was another miss; honestly, if I owned stock in that company, I'd be selling short. Weeks ago we ordered window coverings from them, and they were supposed to call us this week to schedule the installation. I finally called them on Friday, and it turned out that our blinds were in but they sent them to the wrong place! This week they have to collect our order from wherever it is, ship it to the correct installers and then they'll call us to install. I had this little dream that maybe we'd get everything installed before we leave, but I think that is just going to stay a dream at this rate.

Devon is deep in the middle of the "mine, mine, all mine" phase, and it can be amazingly aggravating. She'll get fixated on something -- today it was a little plastic fire hydrant -- and she'll get alternatively angry and whiny about wanting it. When she has her object of desire, she'll regularly (and frequently) tell you that it's "mine," and when she doesn't have it but wants it, she'll quickly get to a full tantrum if she doesn't get it. It makes for a lot of high maintenance interactions.

When we were at the playground and another little boy got on her tricycle (while she was on the swing), and she started screaming at the top of her lungs about it. She had no intention of getting out of the swings until she was someone else on the tricycle, but then there was absolutely no diverting her attention from it. I think the boy's mother was really embarrassed about causing such a scene (at least embarrassed that Devon was causing such a scene), so she quickly bundled him off to another activity. Devon and I had to do a lap of the entire playground riding on the tricyle -- I think it was the toddler form of dogs peeing in their yards -- just to show everyone who owned what.

As we were packing up to leave, another family was also leaving, and I heard his mother say, "It's time to go home." The boy replied, "I want to live here!" which really made me laugh. I was thinking about it as we were about halfway back to the apartment, and Devon abruptly turned around on the tricycle and said, "Paygound again!" I had to use my parental perogative to prevent her from turning around and going back to the playground for round two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home