...On Little Cat Feet

Monday, January 08, 2007

Clothes Horse

I've really started to notice that Devon is developing more of an imagination; she's been playing pretend recently wtih all sorts of objects. The last couple of nights in her bath she's taken to creating a "burrito," which is essentially her bath spoon carefully wrapped in two wet washcloths. After she rolls the burrito, she proceeds to "eat" it, smacking her lips and telling me how yummy it is. It's interesting how she's moving to this phase where she understands what things actually are -- a plastic spoon and washcloth for instance -- yet also feels confident enough to pretend or make the leap from the physical world to a relative world. It's fun to watch

The other day Walt was doing some reorganization in the basement; now that he's given up his space on 20th Avenue, there are mountains of stuff in the basement. Happily, he found a box of toddler clothing that our friends Keri and Arne had given to us quite a while ago. Keri has been wonderfully generous in passing on Mina and Isaac's outgrown clothes -- she's really been singlehandedly clothing Devon for the last two years -- and we've had a few boxes of things that have been waiting for Devon to grow into. About three months ago, Walt mentioned that he saw a box labled "baby clothes 2 years+," but then he couldn't find it. (See comment above about the stuff in the basement.) He just ran into it again and brought it upstairs.

I had opened it to take a peek inside but hadn't taken any clothes out to look in more detail. When Devon saw this box and realized it was for her, she went totally wild -- she was pulling clothes out willy nilly and squealing with delight. She had about 100 times more things in that than she has ever received for presents, so it was like the mother of all windfalls. Once she started pulling clothes out of the box, she wanted to try on several pieces of clothing. I think we must have put on five or six different pieces of clothing in some very strange Devon-inspired combinations. The weirdest was probably the dual t-shirts -- one t-shirt with another on top -- with tights and a bathrobe. We were heading off to see Burke in the evening so we could look at daybeds, and Devon was extremely disappointed that we wouldn't let her visit Burke at his office in that getup.

The funny thing about all of this is that I don't actually think she's a clothes horse, I think it was more exciting because it was like getting a huge box of presents all at once. She's developing rather particular clothes tastes, in fact, and has gotten to the point where she wants to pick out her own clothes in the morning. This means that she rarely wears anything that matches anymore and also has focused in on a narrow spectrum of clothes. She's quite obsessed with t-shirts at the moment and has been demanding that she wear one almost every day (regardless of how ugly, stained or small -- she has one we call the "moose t-shirt" that is completely stained but is a favorite so she wears it with everything.) So while Keri gave us a huge selection, I just hope we can convince Devon to try some of them.

This is a propos of nothing, but Walt and I have become part of the generation that gets their news from Jon Stewart's Daily Show; it's rather incredible to think that it offers some of the most incisive commentary on world events today. Of course if one looks at the demise of CNN and the rise of Fox (which has a few shows that apprear to require the stamp of Bill O'Reilly before airing), I suppose it's not all that surprising. Stewart's commentary is almost always more trenchant that what you'll find on regular news shows, and it has the added benefit of being hilarious as well. What's not to like? Quite a while ago my friend Avinash had given me a tape of a few shows -- Walt had already seen some and was loving them, but I didn't know anything about it -- and they were so great that we started downloading them whenever we could. Now that we actually have basic cable, we can watch it regularly.

I have to confess that I've really been enjoying having a TV with cable; in my old apartment I didn't have cable, so I had very few choices for watching. Then when Devon was born, she slept in the living room, so we couldn't watch any TV for months and months. Of course having cable TV has made me aware of the absolute sea of dreck that's out there -- I'm actually coming to the conclusion that after those horrible pundit-types like Nancy Grace (who is, I think, truly evil) -- the most annoying (yet admittedly non-corrosive) TV personality is Emeril Lagasse. I really want to watch the Food channel, but it seems like every time I tune in that horrible grandstander is on; it's truly maddening. Good god, where is Julia Child's successor when you need her? But it's fun nonetheless to have more choices on the screen, even if we usually end up watching reruns of Jon Stewart, Colbert and PBS (plus the odd movie on Bravo -- I caught The Princess Bride the other night, which was delightful).

One more quick bite: I just heard someone from the Washington Post call Bush's "surge" strategy in Iraq a "moonwalk" -- looking like you're moving forward while staying in the same place. Hilarious (yet utterly pathetic).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home