...On Little Cat Feet

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Rain, rain

Perhaps as an add-on to her craftiness, Devon has really started to assert herself when she wants something or when she disagrees with a situation. I'm sure this is part of being two and developing her own personality. I've noticed that in some instances she's taken to trying our own approach on her. Today when I wanted her to give me something that she didn't want to give up, she said to me, "Time out!" and pointed to the living room. I said, "Do you want me to have a time out?" She said, "Yes." I think she was a bit miffed to learn that time outs are a one-way situation (although I have no doubt that this isn't the last time she'll try to give me a time out).

Today she also climbed out of her crib for the first time. I had put her down for her nap, and I kept hearing her calling, "Mommy, mommy!" I ignored this for quite a while, but it kept up, so I finally went in to check on her (generally this is just a filibuster, so Walt and I try to ignore her cries when she's supposed to be sleeping unless it goes on for a while). She had climbed out of the crib, was standing on the changing table and had both turned on her "special light" and gotten the candle off her bookshelf. I asked her to show me how she got up there, and she proceeded to pull herself up on the side of the crib and flop onto the changing table. There is still about three feet from the table to the floor, so it's not that she's made it out entirely; but I was rather amazed to see her up on the table in the first place. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she figures out how to get to the floor. It was discouraging, actually, because I'm worried it may spell the end of the nap; I think one of the only things that's forcing a nap is the fact that she can't get out of the bed. She protests for quite a while and then eventually falls asleep, probably because she's run out of distractions. I'm not sure when the time comes when we can stop spending time plotting to get her to sleep, but I suspect it won't be for a long while.

It's been raining here for the last couple of days, so we've been doing more inside playing. We did go to the market on Saturday, though, and Devon had a ball. I think most of the fun, honestly, was because she got to wear her rain boots, rain coat and bring her ladybug umbrella. A couple of months ago we bought her a kiddie umbrella that's red with a ladybug handle, and she absolutely loves it. She'll open it up and walk around the house saying, "My lady!" ("lady" being short for ladybug). We've had a very dry winter, though, so she hasn't had much of a chance to use it in real rain; having rain was extra exciting, since it provided an excuse to break out the umbrella for real. It's actually rather nice to go to the market in the rain, since it really cuts down on the crows and only the hard-core market goers show up. We were able to shop efficiently even while Devon was stomping through puddles and swinging the umbrella around.

We also did a little shopping for a daybed. We're trying to get our extra room set up as an office with a daybed (or with a sleeper couch or something similar) so we've got work space and also a guest room. It turns out that shopping for a daybed is almost as frustrating as shopping for bathroom fixtures or kitchen accoutrements. There is an unbelievable amount of crap on the market and practically nothing that's even halfway ok -- and decent looking sleeper sofas cost a fortune. Devon and I went downtown to look at options today, and while she enjoyed running through Crate and Barrel (among other places), I got more and more frustrated with the lack of choices. We're trying to get this in place fairly soon because my dad is coming to town, but we may end up with something that's not even passable. Or maybe we'll just have to do a crappy blow up bed as a short-term solution, but even then, my hopes for an attractive daybed are not high. Manufacturers seem to be making them for 12 year-old girls (white wrought iron with porcelain accents) or college students (cheapo wooden frames that are clearly related to futons). Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home