Dress Up
Walt's sister sent Devon a package that we got yesterday, and the highlight for Devon was the kit of kiddie makeup. Walt and I have been cursing it since it arrived, since makeup in the hands of a 2 year old is nothing but a recipe for disaster. When she first got the package and was opening it up, I went into the other room; when I returned, she had already opened the nail polish and attempted to use it as lipstick. Argh.

The only good thing about it is that she's been playing dress up a lot, putting on the "Mina dress" that she got from Mina (a quasi-princess dress), jewelry and the makeup. I wrested the nail polish out of her hands -- not before I had to paint her nails (and god only knows what kind of chemicals are in nail polish) and then she painted mine. I didn't realize her interest in jewelry until she lost a gold ring of mine the other day; I'm still hoping that I might find it on the floor somewhere. At any rate, the arrival of the makeup has made Devon totally obsessed with it, and she's been carrying these damn lipsticks around for the last two days. The best we can hope for is that she uses it all up quickly.
Walt made a little video that I can't get to embed, but you can see on YouTube.
I had to go to an offsite for work this week, and for a few hours we went to Great America in Santa Clara. One of my coworkers bought this ridiculous hat with furry trim at the theme park, and I convinced him to give it to me. It's been a subsequent regular feature in dress up, and it gives Devon a bit of the Janis Joplin "Pearl" look. She's been so fixated on dressing up (spurred by the makeup) that last night she woke up at about 2:30am, and after quite a bit of yelling, I went in to see her. She was wide awake and kept telling me that she wanted to "do dress up.
Last Sunday we went down to Santa Cruz to visit our friends Bruce and Joan and their two kids, Max and Jesse. Walt and I both worked for Bruce years ago, and it's always fun to see him.
Devon had a great time there; they've got a place in the hills with all sorts of fun toys, including a ping pong table and a trampoline.
She had already been exposed to the ping pong table at Val's 4th of July picnic, so she wanted to play again (which means that she stands on a bench to reach the table and "hits" the balls). Walt stood behind her to help hit the ball -- mainly I threw the ball across the table, she swung and Walt tried to catch the ball before it went off the edge.
The most fun, however, was the trampoline. I hadn't ever really been on a trampoline either, so I tried it out too -- it was great (and exhausting). Devon was a little anxious about it at first, but once she got the hang of it, she loved it. She especially loved running around in a circle on the perimeter then falling down in the middle. Jumping on it wasn't that exciting for her, but she just loved the running. We loved it too, since it exhausted her to no end.
By the end of the evening, Devon had made herself entirely at home. She asked Joan if she could take a bath, and after a little time in the bath, she jumped out and ran into the living room exclaiming, "I'm nakey, I'm nakey!" So she was either extremely comfortable or she was completely hyped up on the brownies we brought.

The only good thing about it is that she's been playing dress up a lot, putting on the "Mina dress" that she got from Mina (a quasi-princess dress), jewelry and the makeup. I wrested the nail polish out of her hands -- not before I had to paint her nails (and god only knows what kind of chemicals are in nail polish) and then she painted mine. I didn't realize her interest in jewelry until she lost a gold ring of mine the other day; I'm still hoping that I might find it on the floor somewhere. At any rate, the arrival of the makeup has made Devon totally obsessed with it, and she's been carrying these damn lipsticks around for the last two days. The best we can hope for is that she uses it all up quickly.
Walt made a little video that I can't get to embed, but you can see on YouTube.
I had to go to an offsite for work this week, and for a few hours we went to Great America in Santa Clara. One of my coworkers bought this ridiculous hat with furry trim at the theme park, and I convinced him to give it to me. It's been a subsequent regular feature in dress up, and it gives Devon a bit of the Janis Joplin "Pearl" look. She's been so fixated on dressing up (spurred by the makeup) that last night she woke up at about 2:30am, and after quite a bit of yelling, I went in to see her. She was wide awake and kept telling me that she wanted to "do dress up.
Last Sunday we went down to Santa Cruz to visit our friends Bruce and Joan and their two kids, Max and Jesse. Walt and I both worked for Bruce years ago, and it's always fun to see him.
Devon had a great time there; they've got a place in the hills with all sorts of fun toys, including a ping pong table and a trampoline.
She had already been exposed to the ping pong table at Val's 4th of July picnic, so she wanted to play again (which means that she stands on a bench to reach the table and "hits" the balls). Walt stood behind her to help hit the ball -- mainly I threw the ball across the table, she swung and Walt tried to catch the ball before it went off the edge.The most fun, however, was the trampoline. I hadn't ever really been on a trampoline either, so I tried it out too -- it was great (and exhausting). Devon was a little anxious about it at first, but once she got the hang of it, she loved it. She especially loved running around in a circle on the perimeter then falling down in the middle. Jumping on it wasn't that exciting for her, but she just loved the running. We loved it too, since it exhausted her to no end.
By the end of the evening, Devon had made herself entirely at home. She asked Joan if she could take a bath, and after a little time in the bath, she jumped out and ran into the living room exclaiming, "I'm nakey, I'm nakey!" So she was either extremely comfortable or she was completely hyped up on the brownies we brought.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home